Wednesday, April 17, 2013

DR Congo: The rapists of Minova.

The Guardian reports


Congo: We did whatever we wanted, says soldier who raped 53 women


Congo: an army sergeant who says he was ordered to rape by his commanding officer. Photograph: Fiona Lloyd-Davies



In a small house on a hill overlooking Lake Kivu, a young Congolese soldier recounts the crimes he and his comrades committed in Minova a few months ago. "Twenty-five of us gathered together and said we should rape 10 women each, and we did it," he said. "I've raped 53 women. And children of five or six years old.
Any reader of this blog will be well aware of the contempt that I hold for the Congolese Army. FARDC are sometimes portrayed as the solution to instability in the Eastern DR Congo. They aren't they are very much part of the problem.
"I didn't rape because I am angry, but because it gave us a lot of pleasure," says 22-year-old Mateso (not his real name). "When we arrived here we met a lot of women. We could do whatever we wanted."
The history of rape as a war crime is quite extensive David J. Scheffer ( Ambassador-at-Large for War Crimes Issues 1999 ) points out,
" Specifically defined prohibitions against rape evolved against the backdrop of its all too frequent use as a weapon of war. Despite the fact that the prohibition against rape was not specifically identified, what many consider to be the first recorded international criminal tribunal, held in 1474, convicted Peter von Hagenbach and ordered his execution on a number of offenses which included rape."
I personally would lose exactly no sleep what so ever if 22-year-old Mateso (not his real name) was allowed to indulge in some more " pleasure " namely his summary execution. There is ample precedent it would seem.
As William Hague unveiled a sexual violence prevention strategy at a meeting of G8 foreign ministers in London this week, what happened in Minova is a stark reminder of the huge challenges facing those seeking to solve the problem of rape in the Democratic Republic of the Congo .
Yeah well  the Angelina Jolie, Foreign Secretary William Hague circus sure as hell does not inspire any confidence in me that there is any sensible solution being developed at an international level.


Take a fucking look. The world doesn't give a toss about the issue. All the world cares about the  engagement ring. Jesus wept.
On 22 November last year thousands of exhausted, battered and bruised Congolese army troops descended on the town having just lost a battle with the rebel M23 fighters in Goma, the main city in eastern Congo some 30 miles away.
I can't believe I am reading this bullshit. FARDC never fucking fought, they ran away. They looted Goma for three days until the M23 rebels started to arrive then  and only then did they piss of south to Minova to indulge in yet more theft and of course rape.

Their retreat was haphazard and chaotic. The soldiers were embarrassed, angry, upset and out of control; their commanders had disappeared and the battalion and regiment structures had disintegrated.

Again I would dispute this. They managed to organise the retreat so they stayed out of harms way and didn't engage the M23 rebels. I saw some initial evidence of actual armed clashes. Then it stopped and FARDC got down to its real business of rape and robbery before the M23 rebels could get themselves organised. That was what the battle for Goma was about. By that standard FARDC won they robed and raped far more. M23 actually was forced to take the extraordinary step of outlawing robbery  mainly because there was nothing left to nick.

When they arrived in Minova they were drunk, hungry and violent. The locals suffered two nightmarish days of looting, rape and murder before the army restored some discipline among its troops.


" Drunk, hungry and violent " sums up FARDC. One wonders with this standard of professional conduct how the Africa Brigade that is tasked to cooperate with FARDC will fare. I suspect that they will largely operate autonomously rather than run the risk of discreditably that close association with FARDC will inevitably entail.

Hundreds of women were raped. It is impossible to accurately state the number of cases as victims often fail to come forward, fearing that their communities and even their husbands will reject them, but hospital director Dr Ghislain Kassongo said he dealt with well over 100 women with rape-related injuries after the army rampage.

At a rape victim refuge centre a couple of miles from Minova, Nzigire Chibalonza, 60, tells what happened when the soldiers came to her shop. "They beat us and beat us, and then they started to rape. Three men raped me – two from the front and one from behind," she says, tears welling in her eyes as she nervously grabs and twists fistfuls of her dress.
"My head is still not right. I thought I had Aids, and now my husband mocks me. He calls me the wife of a soldier, he has rejected me," she says.


Whilst one can clearly not hold MONUSCO responsible for the actual rapes they are and should be accountable for allowing the situation to develop where this was possible. After the Congolese Army ( FARDC ) it is the UN who I blame and the reality is the actions ( or rather inaction ) of these UN soldiers was a cause of the rapes. In my opinion legal action should be taken against the UN and compensation should be awarded. We owe the rape victims of the Eastern DR Congo this as citizens of the world. In a very real sense the MONUSCO are our representatives thus we are liable.  

The refuge centre, set up and run by a woman who was herself a multiple rape victim, is the only place she has to go. It is home to a traumatised but resilient community of women who work and care for each other. One of the victims who spoke to the Guardian there was just 14.
The scale of criminality in Minova has forced the army to take action. Military prosecutors in North and South Kivu provinces – Minova is right on the border between them – have made powerful statements, even threatening to arrest the officers who failed to control their troops.

That sounds like bullshit to me. As far as I can see nothing has been done by the Congolese authorities or the UN. 



I blogged March 8 2013 on this issue including on this statement.
" Unless swift legal action was taken against the accused soldiers before the end of March, the UN said it would stop working with their brigades."
It is of course the end of March and nothing has happened other than a further deadline has been given to Kinshasa to ignore..

"There have been a lot of troubles here. The soldiers are traumatised by war and so commit serious acts and crimes," said Mokuta Amdondo, the North Kivu military prosecutor. "This is where military justice is of the utmost importance. We have not hesitated to put in place the processes to arrest the soldiers who have raped and pillaged the civilian population in Minova.
"If [the victims] are unable to identify the soldiers who committed the crimes, then we'll apply the hierarchy principle: the commanders of the units must be pursued for these incredibly serious crimes committed by soldiers under their control."
Observers hope a successful investigation can make Minova a watershed moment in the construction of a functioning justice system in eastern Congo. "Minova is at the centre of something, as far as justice is concerned in the DRC," says Charles Guy Makongo of the American Bar Association in Goma. "That the investigation is already ongoing is good. But the trials and certainly the convictions will change several things in the justice sector, in the fight against impunity and the process of building the rule of law in the DRC."


I am not holding my breath.

To date there have been few concrete developments. Military justice personnel told the Guardian they did not want to be involved in the case if it would lead to charges against officers, as they feared a backlash from powerful army figures. So far only three soldiers have been arrested – a sub-lieutenant, a corporal and a South Kivu-based soldier of no rank.
"If justice is done, this might stop the soldiers raping," says Chibalonza. "I will go wherever I need to go to in order to testify against these men because what they did to me was so awful. If they are punished I do feel justice will have been delivered."
Until significant arrests are made, however the women of Minova remain sceptical that justice will be done or that impunity will end. "The government says it will arrest these soldiers and officers," says the head of the victim refuge centre, who wishes to remain anonymous. "They may arrest some, but then later they will just set them free again." Unfortunately it is the gloomy predictions of the sceptics that have so far proved correct.


Well worth a read on the subject from a media reporting perspective is Jason Stearns at Congo Siasa 

1 comment:

  1. BlueHost is definitely the best hosting company with plans for all of your hosting requirements.

    ReplyDelete